Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Fantastic Cancer Voyage Chapter 2 V


From the first moment my wife discovered she had breast cancer, there was a deafening silence from the men I know. Even ones whose wives, mothers or girlfriends had breast cancer seemed to have received a gag order from some Central Cancer Command and did little more than mumble about the experience. Not one to shut up for any known reason, I started this blog…

One of my fondest memories as a kid is watching the movie FANTASTIC VOYAGE. In it, a group of scientists and their ultra-futuristic laser-packing “submarine” are reduced to cell size and injected into the blood vessels of a world diplomat in order to destroy a blood clot in his brain.

What would a FANTASTIC VOYAGE: Breast Cancer look like? I’m going to write a novel here, short chapter by short chapter and I’m going to include the latest research and I’m going to imagine the entire story here for your delectation. If you want to start at the beginning, look left. Scroll down to LABELS. The first one is “A Fantastic Cancer Voyage”. Click on it. Scroll to the bottom and you will find episode on. Let me know what you think after you’ve read the whole thing!

Dr. Olubunmi Nwagbara – Ohloo to her friends, if not her family – said, “What did you say?”

Her father, the Chief Right Honorable Mister Nnamdi Oko Nwagbara, Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of West Africa – a power to contend with on Earth since the base of the first space elevator was under construction two hundred kilometers inland of the capital of Gabon, a world power in itself after it opened its doors for business with companies wishing to do genetic engineering with limited restrictions. For that reason she felt justified saying, “On what grounds could you possibly object, Father? Your Commonwealth promotes and protects the most profound genetic engineering on the planet.”

In one motion, he swept the back of his robe of office under his backside and sat down on a stool as Di brought in a plate of freshly fried plantain. Ohloo shot her a look, which Di mostly ignored except for a slight rise in her thick eyebrows. He sampled one of the obliquely sliced fruits after shaking a bit of salt on it, nodded as he smiled, and said, “I’d never object to your taking monolithic leaps in technology, Boomie,” Ohloo winced at the family name. “We have half the nations of the world pounding on our doors trying to force us to change our laws to “keep the world safe from wild genes” while at the same time entertaining those same countries after hours because they want a piece of the action.” He shook his head, enjoying the treat.
“Why are you here then?”

Popping the last slice into his mouth, he wiped his fingers on a convenient towel, studied her for some time, then said, “While I never expected my children to blindly follow our beliefs...”

Ohloo stood up. She’d jumped to her feet in fear as well as anger, covering the reflex by going to her refrigerator and taking out a can of Diet Coke. She said, “I have a six pack of Green Sands Shandy. Want one?”

“Cold? I’d love it. Thank you.”

They settled on their stools again. Her father doggedly continued as if there’d been no interlude, “...I hardly expected one of them to embrace another world religion.”

“Father, I’m not converting to Buddhism. I’m trying to help a woman with breast cancer who just happens to be one of the best hopes for peace in the Sino-Indo conflict. Wouldn’t your Jesus want me to do this if it would help to bring His peace to a hurting world?” She sighed. Her justification seemed weak even to her.

Her father didn’t make a face though. He studied her for some time, his gaze more open than she’d seen it in some time. Finally he said, “I believe you, Boomie. But what about the rest of the world?”

She opened her mouth to tell him what the rest of the world could go do with itself, then she closed her mouth. While he was perfectly capable of turning the air blue with cursing and invective – and had been known to do so during particularly vexing sessions of the West African Congress – in his personal life, he eschewed curses, oaths, and vulgarity. She took a deep breath, using one of the mantras Hirini had lent her silently, then said, “All right, then. What about the rest of the world? First of all, you of all people know you can’t please everyone.” He nodded. “You of all people know that you can’t please God.” She leaned back, waiting to see how that one would settle.

He opened his lips, pressed them together between two fingers, then said, “It is true. I can do nothing to please God. My hope is in Jesus Christ alone.”

She nodded slowly, startled by the unusual candor. Following his lead, she said, “I have no god anymore, Ediye. So I don’t try to please. But I want to help the world. I want to be a tiny instrument in the hands of all the world’s people to bring possible peace. I can do that by treating this woman – whether she believes as you do or not. I think she can bring peace to Earth.” She closed her eyes and waited for the tirade sure to follow her declaration of faith-less-ness…

No comments:

Post a Comment