Saturday, January 26, 2019

ENCORE #103! – Man Cancer and the Orchiectomy


From the first moment my wife discovered she had breast cancer, there was a deafening silence from the men I know. Even ones whose wives, mothers or girlfriends had breast cancer seemed to have received a gag order from some Central Cancer Command and did little more than mumble about the experience. Not one to shut up for any known reason, I started this blog…That was four years ago – as time passed, people searching for answers stumbled across my blog and checked out what I had to say. The following entry first appeared in December of 2011.

I’m re-posting this today because Olympic gold medal swimmer announced a few days ago that he is undergoing treatment for testicular cancer. Here’s a link to the current USA Today article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/01/24/olympic-swimmer-nathan-adrian-diagnosed-testicular-cancer/2670220002/

So this week I got the news that two good friends of mine have cancer. One has colon cancer and will be undergoing a colECTOMY (ecto = Greek for “to cut out”) during the Christmas season.

The other is twenty-some years younger than me. He was diagnosed with testicular cancer and had a radical orchiectomy after which…well, we don’t know because they are in the specific diagnosis part of his New Normal. He said he’d let me know because I pray well for biological specifics – I can see the parts of the body that are affected – cancer, breaks, dislocations, flu. I am a great prayer for healing of body parts as well as for restoring the heart and mind.

At any rate, some time ago, my wife asked “Why do so many people have breast cancer?” I marshaled statistics in this post: http://breastcancerreaper.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-do-so-many-women-have-breast-cancer.html

The research led me to the statistics for other kinds of cancer – lung cancer, Liz’s mom died from this; blood cancer (leukemia), the son of close family friends; brain cancer, an old friend of mine died from this at 30; skin cancer, my sister, brother and sister-in-law have this; there are others with other cancers that I don’t care to enumerate at this time.

Testicular cancer has increased by 60% in the past 25 years. Why? Right now no one knows the answer, it just…has.

A student of mine, after we talked about why my wife’s hair all fell out during chemo. I talked about how the chemicals target fast-growing cancer cells – and kill the fast-growing hair cells “accidentally”. She then went on a rave about how we should make drugs that ONLY target cancer cells…and that got me to thinking.

Are all cancer cells created equal? Or are they egalitarian? Is testicular cancer the same as breast cancer? Brain cancer? Lung cancer? Skin cancer?

Questions – and today…no answers. Just more questions that I’m going to try to answer in the future…


No comments:

Post a Comment