Sunday, July 26, 2026

DIABETES RESEARCH RIGHT NOW! #44 “Annual T2D-related healthcare costs reached $966 billion in 2021...to exceed $1 trillion by 2045”

From the first moment I discovered I had been diagnosed with DIABETES, I joined a HUGE “club” that has been rapidly expanding since it stopped being a death sentence in the early 20th Century. Currently, there are about HALF A BILLION PEOPLE who have Type 2 Diabetes. For the past 3500 years – dating back to Ancient Egypt – people have suffered from diabetes. Well, I’m one of them now… Not one to shut up for any known reason, I added a section to this blog…Every month, I’ll be highlighting Diabetes research that is going on RIGHT NOW! Harvested from different websites, journals and podcasts, I’ll translate them into understandable English and share them with you.

“Since insulin’s discovery in the 1920s, science has delivered nine classes of drugs to treat type 2 diabetes (T2D). These have improved life for many; but more than 100 years later, the disease remains widespread and progressively degenerative. An estimated 828 million adults were affected globally in 2022, up by 630 million since 1990...

“The complications of T2D are severe: blindness, organ failure, to heightened infection risk. Annual T2D-related healthcare costs reached $966 billion in 2021 and are projected to exceed $1 trillion by 2045, based on the International Diabetes Federation’s estimates.”

The sticking point here? Dorzagliatin was discovered and developed in China.

We all Americans are notably and frequently “China-phobic”. HOWEVER, while the new drug is NOT available here, there are signs that “East-West Relations” might be thawing…

In a study published in Volume 74, Issue 11 of the ADA magazine DIABETES, results are promising. “Effects of Dorzagliatin, a Glucokinase Activator, on α- and β-Cell Function in Individuals With Impaired and Normal Glucose Tolerance”

“In type 2 diabetes Dorzagliatin reduced fasting and postprandial (after-eating) glucose levels in a dose-dependent manner (depending . In phase 3 randomized controlled trials, Dorzagliatin treatment led to a −0.57% and −0.66% placebo-subtracted reduction in HbA1c (A2c levels) in drug-naïve (people who aren’t taking any diabetic drugs) and metformin-treated patients with T2D, respectively, with sustained efficacy (it had been working for…) 52 weeks. Furthermore, in an observational extension study, 65% of patients with early-stage T2D who received Dorzagliatin monotherapy had sustained drug-free remission at 52-week follow-up. These findings suggest Dorzagliatin may have a role in restoration of β-cell function in those with earlier stages of diabetes.” (see link below)

It took me a second read to catch that, people! They aren’t talking about “making you feel better but nothing really changes” – like I take 4 Metformin a day, plus Ozempic once every two weeks (a new approach to taking Ozempic supported by a small group study – and now you hear it from me: FOR ME, there was no change from weekly to biweekly use of Ozempic. I actually FELT better (after a doctor visit, where Dr. H informed me that the O-stuff PLUS big, fat, Ty.-shaped pills of M would like give me the D-stuff (too gross to even write!) and suggested I start taking a probiotic…

Now, I was NOT a pill popper until it became a matter of life and death and love of my wife! I take what I ABSOLUTELY have to in order to spend as many years with my beautiful sweetheart of 39 years as I am allotted! But “probiotics” sounded like an ad campaign invented by some dork-behind-a-desk intended to convince me that I should be taking MORE pills (OH! And ONLY “pure”, “natural”, “organic” ingredients (I should add Made-Of-MORE-Money than the evil “impure”, “unnatural”, “inorganic” (??? Like, made of ROCKS?) ingredients.)

So, on my wife’s advice, I started taking them and, as much as I hate to admit it, they seem to have made a difference…dang…

Links: https://www.nature.com/articles/d43747-025-00071-9

No comments:

Post a Comment