Saturday, February 15, 2020

ALZHEIMER’S RESEARCH RIGHT NOW! #6: A Dementia VACCINE!?!?!?! (Part 1)

From the first moment I discovered my dad had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, it seemed like I was alone in this ugly place. Even ones who had loved ones suffering in this way; even though people TALKED about the disease, it felt for me like they did little more than mumble about the experience. Not one to shut up for any known reason, I added a section to this blog…

Every month, I’ll be highlighting Alzheimer’s research that is going on RIGHT NOW! Harvested from different websites, journals and podcasts, I’ll translate them into understandable English and share them with you. Today: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/304009-a-new-alzheimers-vaccine-could-be-headed-for-human-trials (This is an online summary of the actual study below).

Too late for Dad, but in time for us?

So, I emailed my doctor about some of the things I’ve written about in this blog, in particular, this post:  “What do these four things have in common: LSDs, Eye Tests, a Video Game, and Blood Tests?” https://breastcancerreaper.blogspot.com/2019/08/alzheimers-research-right-now-3-what-do.html

Here's what I wrote along with his response:

"Dear Dr. Holton:
           "My name is Guy Stewart, and I have some concerns about myself and Alzheimer's. My father died about a year ago from complications resulting from an initial Alzheimer's diagnosis four years earlier. He and my mom eventually moved to assisted living in Maple Grove; and when my mom went on hospice, we used the opportunity to move both into Memory Care. Mom passed, and Dad stayed. I am a writer and science teacher and did much research on dementias. I would like to see if qualify for some early screening advances in the field. The link here is to an essay I wrote regarding some developing research. If you would take the time to skim the links, I'd appreciate it as I would like to see what I can do BEFORE I begin to develop symptoms and it's too late. DON'T rely on the essay -- read the links at the bottom. Thank you." https://breastcancerreaper.blogspot.com/2019/08/alzheimers-research-right-now-3-what-do.html

"Guy,
         "Thanks for the information.  It is very difficult to watch a parent slowly decline from Alzheimer's dementia.  It is a very painful disease process. If you are noting short-term memory lapses, more so than others your age, recommend getting a MoCA test (stands for Montreal Cognitive Assessment).  Our nurses do that at the clinic at Brooklyn Center.  Can just make an appointment with the RN for the MoCA test.  This is quite sensitive and specific for early Alzheimer's type dementia.  Suggest follow-up appointment with me immediately afterwards to discuss the results."

The Health Partners Neuroscience Center in Saint Paul is presently doing several research projects for Alzheimer's type dementia.  I recommend you contact them regarding the most recent research in early detection.  They have the most up-to-date stuff, and perhaps you or family members could be enrolled in their studies.  Good luck and best wishes.”

So, I signed up to be alerted if they are interested in doing Neuroscience studies, in particular, research into stopping Alzheimer’s Disease. (I’ve participated in several studies already! ARIC (Atherosclerosis In Communities); D2D (The effect of vitamin D2 on pre-Diabetes (which earned me a kidney stone…ouch…)); and a couple of other minor ones.

Next time, I’ll talk about the vaccine and its progress. Also, I’ll make an appointment after I retire, to take the MoCA – and I’ll actually report on that test later, in GGTA…Alzheimer’s!

Resources: https://alzres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13195-019-0556-2#Abs1


No comments:

Post a Comment