Saturday, June 30, 2012

Road Signs

From the first moment my wife discovered she had breast cancer, there was a deafening silence from the men I know. Even ones whose wives, mothers or girlfriends had breast cancer seemed to have received a gag order from some Central Cancer Command and did little more than mumble about the experience. Not one to shut up for any known reason, I started this blog...

I was travelling yesterday and had to cross the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Having been born and bred Minnesotan – as well as learning to drive here – I know that there are certain road signs that are the same everywhere and there is some variation between states. The example above is one that’s obvious.

What I didn’t realize until yesterday was that the PHILOSOPHY of signage is different between the two states. Not on the Interstate – they keep that uniform for a reason! – but it becomes apparent when you cross over.

Minnesota’s signs are concerned with where you are going. Your destination is the information communicated on the signs with frequent reports of “Duluth 96 mi” and “Next Rest Stop 44 miles”.
Wisconsin signs are concerned with where you are.

I pulled on to US 53 northbound and drove with no idea of how far I was from my destination – but quite clear that the intersection I was passing through at that moment was Black Dog Road. The next one, when I arrived was Lone Oak Lane...

There is something to learn on this continuing breast cancer event – which surfaced again after I returned home and my wife noticed that after several hours of house work, her right arm seemed swollen. I did an exercise that, while it’s not a CURE for lymphedema, can help return slight swelling back to more normal levels.

After the initial diagnosis of breast cancer, it seemed like everyone was intently focused on the destination: cancer freedom. Like my native Minnesotans, we were regularly and constantly informed that we were well on our way to the destination.

After a year of surgery and chemo and endless doctor visits and the apparent arrival at the destination, it seems someone has switched philosophies on us without saying anything. Like my Wisconsin fiends, we are now focused on where we are.

Now that I finally have the signs right, I’m pretty sure I can get over my confusion – and pass on the philosophy!

Image: http://addins.whig.com/blogs/ihavealottoshare/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/deer_crossing.png, http://rvingwithpleasureland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Deer_xing_thumb_640.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment